About the farm
FAI farms 1650 acres (668ha) of Oxford University farmland. The farm runs 250 acres (101ha) of animal feed crop trials in rotation and is home to a 120-cow suckler herd, and a flock of 1,000 sheep. It also houses a poultry research unit for hatchery, breeding and rearing. Animals from FAI’s own flocks and herds are sourced for vaccine efficacy testing at the state-of-the-art Animal Health Centre.
FAI collaborates with a number of scientific centres of excellence including Oxford University, Reading University and Bristol University to develop and implement practical solutions. FAI is a subsidiary of Benchmark Holdings plc.
The farm is situated in a lowland area and much of the land lies in the River Thames floodplain. The soil in the area is a mixture of clay loam and sandy gravel.
- Farm yard, farm tours and toilets (all with disabled access)
- Hand and boot-washing facilities
- Beautifully restored meeting room within the Old Dairy
- 30-seater passenger trailer for farm tours
- Large traditional barn for group activities
- Egg sorting room with egg-grading machine
- Close access to chickens, sheep, and beef cattle
- Bird hide
- Badger hide
- Organic vegetable gardens and orchards
- Access to a variety of habitats including wild-flower meadows, wetland grazing, hedgerows, and arable crops
- Riverside walks along the River Thames (including King’s Lock) and Seacourt Stream